Hadrian Ellory-van Dekker, Director and Chief Executive of the Trust will oversee all stages of the transition of the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery in it's present location, Apsley House in Bath Road, Old Town, to its new town centre location in the cultural quarter beside the Wyvern Theatre.
He was invited by the Friends committee to come and take part in a question and answer session, to share his vision, and give a time scale for the new museum and art gallery.
The evening was facilitated by Erik Burnett-Godfree, a former education officer at the museum, who gave some useful insights.
They talked to a packed house, and the evening worked really well.
The Evening Advertiser kindly sent a reporter, this is their article:
Roger Ogle was present to report for the Link magazine, Frances Bevan and Graham Carter were representing Swindon Heritage Magazine and Marie Lennon from BBC Wiltshire
We were also fundraising to restore two paintings:
Become a Friend of the Swindon Museumand Art Gallery
For only £15 a year, you can become a Friend and receive links to our Zoom talks. To become a Friend or find out more about us, go to the website www.friendsofsmag.org
Saturday, 27 August 2016
On a recent visit to the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, I discovered not only were they celebrating the bicentenary of their opening, but also the Friends of the Fitzwilliam was founded in 1909 by Sir Sydney Cockerell, Director from 1908-1937 to support the Museum and is the oldest such society in Britain. Friends play a vital role in the life of the Fitzwilliam and their contributions are greatly valued. Cockerell's very first purchase from the Friends' first year of subscriptions (a total of £ 116 18s) was a panel of Islamic tiles of c.1600, costing 42 guineas. Cockerell was extremely proud of this acquisition: it reflected his own taste for the arts and crafts of the near East, and the all-pervasive influence of his friend William Morris, for whom he had once worked:
There's something lovely about this Dutch Chocolate pot and lid, seen below, made in 1909 with a hand painted Art Nouveau style design: